Monday, May 25, 2009

You Scratch My Back, I'll Rate It On A Scale Of 1-10

Photobucket

Dis- The Historically Troubled Third Album

Photobucket

Disband- In Small Rooms

Photobucket

Faraquet- Anthology 1997-98

Haven't blogged in awhile. Negative feedback made me hesitate I suppose. Considered some sort of blog-identity crisis. Georgia heat wears on my sense of humor. But there are mp3s to be posted.

Had a conversation with a bro on LSD about the value of experimental art. You could say we are diametrically opposed based on our loves of very different core 90s alternative rock bands. My favorite is Smashing Pumpkins; his is Radiohead.

I have had "The Radiohead is overrated" discussion even more than I have had the "Animal Collective's decline" discussion. I do not have any direct opposition in either case; I have milquetoast views of Radiohead and I think Merriweather Post Pavillion is a good album. Better than the new Grizzly Bear. Not as good as Feels or Strawberry Jam, and certainly not the album of the year, which is a toss-up between Japandroids and Mastodon (for the record, I think Japandroids' debut album is better than Nouns; Steve disagrees).

Milquetoast might be an incorrect term. Indifference or mild irritation might be more accurate. Radiohead's music is pretty good. For a mainstream band, they have taken to many different styles and haven't really embarrassed themselves in their attempts. But they do get boring. And their paranoid, impressionistic mantras fail to move me. In a broader sense, I think songwriting should be about creating the best possible song with each aspect created for maximum impact, and not inserting techno just to be arty. Maybe electronic music is just the counterpart to Yorke's post-whatever alienation. I do however see that my irritation at Thom Yorke's yelps parallels many people's views on Billy Corgan's whine. Corgan's music more often seems self-indulgent than pretentious, and I can get over it. I'm also willing to accept cockiness from people if they can deliver, and Corgan fulfills that obligation.

But anyway, how hard is it to make experimental music? "My Girls," for instance, is the same damn three notes looped over and over again for an entire song. The vocal melodies are nice, but groundbreaking it ain't. Metal Machine Music was pretty damn experimental, but does it hold any real musical value? The greatest experimental bands always welded their sonic manipulations to genuine rock music to form a greater whole. Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine come to mind. And really, given a wah pedal and a delay pedal, with a decent sampler, you could make some pretty strange music. But does anyone want to listen to it? Not really, unless you've somehow found the No Wave crowd. However, if you can make broken glass scratching metal shimmer like Pet Sounds, then be my guest.

Now about those albums. The Dis- album is ok, probably their best record, Steve Albini produced and all. They sound maybe like the guy from Hum fronting a Dischord band. I have more if anyone wants it. That Disband album is really good. They sound like the Hold Steady-bro singing for Braid. They were kinda Athens based, but they were before my time. The Faraquet anthology is pretty quality. Some of cuts were later on their first album, but everything is pretty solid. I'll fix'em if the downloads don't work.

Sorry this blog was so boring. I'll do better next time. Maybe it's time to start talking about Daisy of Love.

1 comment:

  1. will you please re up track 5 from the faraquet anthology it is corrupt in the archive you can email me at danasince1979@gmail.com thanks

    ReplyDelete